Catch a Memory
Fishing is an easy and enjoyable way for family and friends to connect with some of Alberta’s greatest
natural resources – our lakes, rivers, streams and the fish that live in them.
Family Fishing Weekends, no licence required, occurs twice a year. Albertans and visitors are invited
to give fishing a try on water bodies with open fishing seasons (not in national parks). Keep in mind
that fishing regulations still apply.
Alberta Family Fishing Weekends – no licence required, happens during the Family Day long weekend in
February and in the second weekend in July.
Fish Stocked Waters
Alberta has approximately 166 stocked water bodies for anglers to enjoy. They are frequently stocked with brook trout, brown trout or cutthroat trout.
Stocked waters are listed beginning on page 16 of the 2015 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations. Find a stocked lake near you and enjoy catching a memory
on your family fishing experience.
View current fish stocking reports at:
Family Fishing Weekends coming up:
- July 11 and 12, 2015
- February 13, 14, 15, 2016
Fishing Regulations Still Apply!
Alberta's sportfishing regulations apply all year to anglers of all ages and residences, including during
the Family Fishing Weekends.
Aim to be a Responsible Angler
- Know the regulations for the limit and species for each season
- Know how to identify fish to better follow the regulations
- Handle fish with care to help them survive after they have been released back into the water
- Use barbless hooks to cause less damage to fish when you catch and release them
Help prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species – clean, drain and dry your boat and fishing equipment
after using them.
To order a printed copy, see:
Are you hooked?
Would you like to keep fishing after the Family Fishing Weekend? A Wildlife Identification Number (WIN)
card and Alberta sportfishing licence are required for:
- Alberta residents age 16 to 64
- Canadian residents (from outside Alberta) age 16 and older
- Non-residents (from outside Canada) age 16 and older
To purchase your WIN card and fishing licence online, visit:
Updated: Jul 7, 2015