Family Fishing Weekends – no license required
Catch a Memory
Fishing is an easy and enjoyable way for family and friends to connect with some of Alberta’s greatest natural resources – our lakes, rivers, streams and the fish that live in them.
Family Fishing Weekends, no license required, occurs twice a year. Albertans and visitors are invited to give fishing a try on water bodies with open fishing seasons (not in national parks). Keep in mind that fishing regulations still apply.
Alberta Family Fishing Weekends – no license required, happens during the Family Day long weekend in February and in the second weekend in July.
Family Fishing Weekends coming up:
- February 15, 16, 17, 2014
- July 12, 13, 2014
Fishing Regulations Still Apply!
Alberta's sportfishing regulations apply all year to anglers of all ages and residences, including during the Family Fishing Weekends.
Aim to be a Responsible Angler
- Know the regulations for the limit and species for each season
- Know how to identify fish to better follow the regulations
- Handle fish with care to help them survive after they have been released back into the water
- Use barbless hooks to cause less damage to fish when you catch and release them
Help prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species – clean, drain and dry your boat and fishing equipment after using them.
For an online version of the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations, see:
To order a printed copy, see:
Where can we fish on Family Fishing Weekends?
Check the My Wild Alberta calendar to see if there are any events in your community for the Free Fishing Weekend:
Are you hooked?
Would you like to keep fishing after the Family Fishing Weekend? A Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) card and Alberta sportfishing license are required for:
- Alberta residents age 16 to 64
- Canadian residents (from outside Alberta) age 16 and older
- Non-residents (from outside Canada) age 16 and older
To purchase your WIN card and fishing license online, visit:
Updated: Aug 21, 2013